Once you have properly installed the instrument in the car using the provided OBD cable, you should verify the instrument is powered up and ready
Things you need to know
Why use the OBDII cable ?
The main reason to use the OBDII power source is to ensure the instrument is always powered up.
- The OBDII plug is sturdy so it will stay in place.
- The OBDII is always powered ON, and never turns OFF when you stop the car
- If installed properly in the suggested location in your car, the instrument becomes permanent. It will be out of the way, easily reachable and will not clutter of the central console.
Why is it so important to have permanent power ?
Because when you switch on a GPS, it needs to locate and lock on the satellite signals. If the units is already powered, it will start recording immediately
If you start driving before it is ready 3 things will be wrong.
- You mileage will always be short
- Your stating place address will always be wrong
- You risk affecting the data tracking stability if the instrument gets unpluged during a trip ( when using a cigarette lighter or integrated USB plus)
The TL1000 doesn't have an internal battery
- No batteries to replace
- No dangerous lithium exposed to the hot sun on your dashboard that can explode, catch fire, or get damaged by the heat, humidity and cold.
- Why have a battery when you have a giant one in the car already , you just need a good reliable connection. This is what the OBDII power supply is for.
Why is it beeping and what does it mean ?
There are 6 different audio signal, letting you know what is going on
Read and hear what the audio signal mean here Audio sound signal definition ( bip, beep, beeping sound)
Using the TL1000 in your car
Triplogik was created to replace the traditional logbook while taking advantage of GPS technology combined with highly available digital Maps.
The simple one button design was built to maximize efficiency and mainly accuracy for revenue services or employee claims.
It was specifically designed to get the user involved every time it is used to better classify and ensure reliability of the information.
As we explained before, because of the OBDII constant power, the instrument is always ON and ready ( if it is properly installed using the OBD power supply )
The instrument has a very large antenna, ensuring maximum signal to prevent loses of position.
The instrument communicates with audio signals to remind the user to select the type of trip being done as it is happening.
Unlike a toggle switch, leaving the instrument in one mode or the other, the TL1000 communicates its demands to the user every time.
The only interaction from the user is to tell the instrument what type of trip is being made. Personal or Business ?
The audio signal is also a confirmation the system is locked on to satellites and actually working.
Imagine the following scenario
- You enter the car to go somewhere, you are concentrated on your business.
- You start the car and benign driving. Since the instrument is always ready, it immediately detects movement and vibration and sound the warning.
- The two tone audio signal, specific to the start of a new trip, not only a reminder but also a status that the satellite tracking is working.
More info about the audio signal here: Audio sound signal definition ( bip, beep, beeping sound)
The audio signal letting you know the GPS receiver is connected to the satellites, and at the same time, reminding you to select the type of trip being done.
- If you are starting a business trip, Press on the blue button. This will classify the trip as business
- If you starting a personal trip, Do not press. This will classify the trip as Personal
Remember that all trips are always recorded, Pressing the button is used to classify the trip.
How does TripLogik know when to start and stop recording.
As soon as you start driving, the movement and vibration will trigger a start.
The starts of a new trip is always confirmed by a two tone audio signal.
Once you arrive at a destination , the instrument will detect there is no more movement and vibration and will initiate a trip break countdown using the value configured in its settings.
After the countdown is over, the trip will be considered completed.
When you start driving again, since the previous trip was ended, the process starts over again.
Why is there a trip break countdown ?
If you were to get stuck in traffic , without a proper delay, the instrument could think you have arrived at a destination is you are not moving enough.
This would create multiple small trips that would need to be merged later to reflect a complete and unique trip.
What happens if you stop at a destination, for a shorter period than the Trip Break Countdown of the instrument.
If you were to stop at a location and drive again before the end of the countdown delay, the instrument will keep recording like if it was the same trip.
What can I do to prevent trips from being added together ?
If you start your new trip, and you know or suspect the stop was too short. ( or if you start a trip and there is no starting tone )
- Press and hold the button until you hear a long beep, 3 short beeps and a long beep ( _ . . . _ )
- After the last beep, release the button and start driving ( this can also be done while driving)
This will inform the instrument you want to start a new trip from this location.
After a few seconds, you will hear the two tone trip start tone.
Ensure the instrument is configured correctly to use this function.
To verify the setting:
- Connect the instrument to the PC and start the Manager software
- Go to the Settings menu
- Verify the Sync tab has the "Force new trip on Waypoint" selected
- Verify the Logger tab and ensure both reminders are selected
- Default Trip Break time is 5 minutes minimum and can be set up to 15 minutes
Setting Trip Break too loo will trigger false end of trips in heavy traffic
A value too high will merge multiple trips if you don't stop long enough
What does the New Trip Sounds like ?
The sample below is the sound of a Tl1000 logger telling the user it is connected to the satellites and a reminder to enter the trip type about to start...
When to press the button ?
You can press any time during a trip . Pressing at least once will set the trip as business.
If you don't remember if you did press or not, just press again. You can press more than once and it will not affect the trip mileage.
The button is made to tell the instrument the trip type, any time during the trip from the starting place it started recording at.
You can even press the button at the destination, and it will still classify the trip as business.
When is a trip completed ?
At your destination, when the instrument detect there is no more vibration or movement for the set time ( 5 minutes adjustable in the software) the trip will be ended.
No need to click or stop anything
What happens if the time between trips is shorter than the Trip Break delay ?
If you start to drive again, but you did not stop long enough for the trip to be considered completed in the instrument. the same trip will continue recording.
In this condition, when you start driving again, you will not hear the familiar two tone audio signal telling you it is a new trip.
Because there was no end, the instrument thinks it is still recording the same trip before you stopped.
If you want this place to be recorded as an end location. You will need to force the instrument to start a new trip.
How to force the instrument to start a new Trip ?
The link below has a full explanation on how to force the instrument to start a new trip
In a nutshell, you can tell the instrument to start a new trip from the current location.
This can be used if you did not stop long enough for the instrument to detect a final destination or if you need to change the type , even if you are driving...
We highly recommend you read this section as it is more than likely you will use this feature
Minimum User interaction
Just remember, all you have to do is press the button when you start a new trip if the trip is business , and don't if it is personal ...
Trip type can be changed later in the software in case of error or if you changed your mind .
In the Manager software , you can define specific places as business only, this way, when you go back to this place, the trip will be set to business even if you did not press the button.
As your database of places grows, it gets smarter .
MAKE A TEST RUN BEFORE OFFICIALLY USING IT
Take the time to properly configure your instrument, and install it in your car as recommended.
90% of the problems reported to the TripLogik support are caused by users not following the steps and installation instructions.
Once the instrument is configured and installed in your car, go for a spin around the block.
Plug the TL1000 to your computer and perform a sync ( for more information about the software, please consult the how to videos section )
This will show if the instrument is working properly, and confirm your installation was properly done.
WHY AND WHEN TO TRANSFER THE DATA FROM YOUR INSTRUMENT
We strongly suggest you sync your instrument once a month .
- Transferring your trips more often will reduce any possible loses
- Making more frequent transfer will be faster
- Having only a month will make it easier to double check your trips an ensure none of the business was classified as personal by mistake
- Printing your reports every month will ensure you can claim your mileage every month
- If you produce reports every month, there will not be any panic mode at the end of the year
ALWAYS MAKE BACKUP COPIES OF YOUR FILE
Remember to backup up your database file and do monthly sync.
If you wait too long, you can only blame yourself...
More how to videos here. How to videos
You can never forget to start or stop, there is no an app to start or device to turn ON. Because the instrument is always in your car, and always powered it is immediately ready to work.
You will always have accurate reports of your trips type as you tell the instrument what you are doing at every trip.
Unlike a toggle button selecting personal or business all the time, until it is changes, the TripLogik system ensures the user knows the system is working every time, confirming 100% of the time the type being done.
Feature that inspire confidence for the revenue services.